Monday 2 April 2012

Fresh Dates and a Kale Smoothie Post Workout + Sweet Potato Chili

I don't know about you, but after a hard workout I am famished and I have to eat within 30 minutes or I feel horrible. My workout today was an hour long step class at Annapolis Athletic and it was a killer! I sweat more during that hour than I do with any other workout - even exercising outside in August! I hope the calorie burn is equal to the sweat.
So today, post-workout, I first had 2 fresh Medjool dates for some super fast sugar and then I made a green smoothie with kale, banana, red grapes, almond meal, water and ice. It was a little chunky, so beware if you don't like chunks, but it was perfect. It's been two hours and I'm just starting to get hungry for lunch.
6oz water
8 ice cubes
3 cups of kale - torn into pieces and stems removed
1 banana
1 cup of red grapes
blend now and then add the almond meal through the top
2 heaping tablespoons almond meal (I buy at Trader Joes)
blend on high for a couple of minutes
This green goddess provides healthy carbs (to replace the ones used in your workout) + healthy plant protein + good fat. What more is needed!
I also love soups and chilis because they're so easy to make in a slow cooker. And they're quick to reheat when you are in a time crunch. Make a big pot of soup or chili on the weekend and enjoy it for most of the week. One of my favorites is Sweet Potato Chile. It takes a little time to prepare so it's perfect to make on a Sunday afternoon. Enjoy!
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
4 tbsp chili powder (+dash of hot chile powder to taste)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp paprika
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
½ tsp sea salt
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
32 oz water or broth
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cans 28oz petite diced tomatoes with juice
1 can 15oz black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can 15oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Saute until onion is slightly translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add all other ingredients, cover and cook 30 minutes are until the sweet potatoes are soft.
Cheers,
Margaret
I am a certified health coach and I help women get out of their mom jeans and rock the body they love through a clean, healthy diet.
Margaret LeDane, Certified Health Coach - ImpeccableWellness.com - mcledane@gmail.com
410-533-0573
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Margaret_C_LeDane

No comments:

Post a Comment