Friday 20 April 2012

Try These Old Fashion Pasta Recipes For Some Delicious Meals Today

One of my fondest memories of my paternal grandfather was going to his house and having him say, "Wanna come in here (the kitchen with the big old wood cook stove) and have some 'getty with me?" He always called pastas 'getty'. I often wonder if that is why I still love 'getty or pasta so much today. I'm never quite sure if it is the taste or the memory but I have a feeling it is a little of both. Check out the pasta recipes I am sharing below.
ALL-AT-ONCE SPAGHETTI DINNER
This is an old recipe from a 1950s tomato sauce can. My memory isn't what it used to be but I believe it was Hunt's tomato sauce.
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cans (8-oz each) tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teasp. garlic powder
1/4 teasp. pepper
1/4 teasp. ground oregano
1 1/2 teasp. salt
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
1 small can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1/2 lb uncooked spaghetti
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Cook and stir the beef and onion in a heavy 3-quart saucepan until meat loses red color. Stir in the seasonings and the olives. Add the mushroom stems and pieces; stir in the water and tomato sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil. Break the spaghetti in half and sprinkle into the mixture slowly. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and simmer 25 to 30 minutes over low heat. Stir in the cheese until melted.
Yield: 6 servings
GOOD OLD MACARONI AND CHEESE
My sister and I loved macaroni and cheese. My kids followed suit and now the grandchildren, too. When I make it I always think of my grandpa (mentioned above) who died when I was in high school. He loved it, too. For some reason, he always called it 'getty'!
2 cups elbow macaroni
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Cook the macaroni according to the package directions; drain.
Spray a 1 1/2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and stir in the flour, mustard, and salt. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook and stir until the mixture thickens slightly; remove from the heat. Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining half cup of cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
Enjoy!
For more of Linda's old-fashion recipe collection visit her blog at http://grandmasvintagerecipes.blogspot.com/
For more of her recipes and diabetic information visit http://diabeticenjoyingfood.blogspot.com/
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Linda_Carol_Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment