Wednesday 25 April 2012

How to Make a Healthy, Tasty Pineapple Pastry for Diabetics

I grew up next door to my grandparents so I had a front row seat when my grandfather was diagnosed with diabetes in the 1950s. As a child, I hoped and prayed I would never suffer the same fate! After all, I had to help my grandmother measure his food, and sweets were strictly forbidden. I also watched as my aunt stopped by daily to give him insulin shots. As a child, I couldn't imagine anything worse happening to a person. Giving up sweets and getting shots regularly, why, I was aghast at such a possibility. Many years later, his daughter - my mother - got the same diagnosis. I was relived to know she could take pills instead of receiving shots, but sugar was still strictly forbidden. By then they had some halfway decent sugar-free candy and cookies, but still I avoided thinking about the possibility the same fate could come my way. And them, bam! The boom lowered right over my head. I was sixty years old and my vision was becoming blurry. I was having trouble reading at the computer. Then I got my little postcard reminder from the eye doctor. Relief; my annual eye check was do.
It was easy to reason that my glasses needed to be changed. I seemed to be more thirsty than usual. But it was summer in Texas; easy to reason that the heat was dehydrating so I drank more water. I got a horrible yeast infection. I had recently finished a round of antibiotics. That could have caused the problem, I reasoned. Then I had to go to the doctor for my annual checkup. My blood sugar reading was almost 500!! Time to be realistic with myself. I was immediately started on oral medications, sent to a nutritionist, and told to keep a food diary. I was relieved to know more research into diabetes had been done and I could have some sugar. My grandfather and my mother didn't know about carb counting and some of the other things I discovered. I did extensive research, took my meds, and started experimenting with foods. I have always loved cooking and baking so I took to finding new ways to make old recipes. I am proud to say, I now have controlled blood sugar and show no signs of diabetic problems. This is one of the recipes I came up with through some trial and error. I like it and it fits into my diet. I think it is especially good with a cup of coffee.
PINEAPPLE PASTRY FOR DIABETICS
This is an old-fashion pineapple cake recipe that I altered to make a healthy, and tasty pastry for diabetics to enjoy with a good cup of coffee or other beverage. There is only a little sugar in the Splenda baking blend and the natural sugar in the pineapple. The whole-wheat flour makes it a healthy option. Try the recipe as written the first time you make it. If the whole-wheat flour tastes okay to you, you can change the flours to 1/2 cup cake flour and 2 cups whole-wheat flour making it even healthier.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup Splenda granular
1 cup Splenda Baking Blend
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt
1 can (20-oz) pineapple in its own juice, almost completely drained
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small deep mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
In a 2-quart mixing bowl, cream the butter, Splenda granular, Splenda Baking Blend, and vanilla extract together until light and fluffy. Blend in the pineapple.
Combine the salt, baking powder, cake flour, and whole-wheat flour together and add gradually, alternately with the water, to the creamed mixture beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until well combined.
Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
Spray 2 8-inch round or square baking pans with nonstick cooking spray. Divide batter evenly between the two pans. Bake at 350 degrees 20 to 25 minutes until edges start to brown and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool and drizzle with a tablespoon of powdered sugar drizzle, per pan, if desired. Cut into small squares for serving.
Enjoy!
For more of Linda's recipes and diabetic information visit http://diabeticenjoyingfood.blogspot.com/
For her other dessert recipes visit her at http://ladybugssweettreats.blogspot.com/
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Linda_Carol_Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment