Thursday 14 March 2013

Serve Deluxe Fried Egg Sandwiches for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner

By 

Restaurants are bringing in customers with all-you-can-eat breakfast buffets and specials. Last Saturday I had breakfast at a local restaurant that is famous for its weekend brunch. The buffet was still available, but I tend to eat too much, so I ordered from the menu. The fried egg sandwich (FES for short) caught my attention because it brought back memories of childhood.
When my parents were low on groceries or money, we had fried egg sandwiches, an egg with crispy edges between two slices of buttered bread. Since I thought this sandwich had disappeared, I was surprised to see it on the menu. Out of curiosity I ordered one and when it came it was huge: two slices of rye bread, two slices of cheese, cooked onions, four slices of bacon, two fried eggs, and chopped lettuce.
It was so big I could hardly get the sandwich in my mouth. When I took my first bite I almost swooned at the combination of flavors. One half of a sandwich, and the side of fresh fruit, were enough for me, and I left the second half on my plate. But I can't stop thinking about that scrumptious breakfast.
The old recipe can be adapted easily. What was its origin? I checked two historic cookbooks and found recipes that included shredded cheese and cheese sauce. More recent cookbooks contained recipes that were a cross between a the classic bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich and the egg sandwich.
Websites and blogs have also posted hybrid recipes. The Food and Wine website, for example, has a recipe that includes Monterey Jack cheese, rustic white bread, bacon, sliced tomatoes, butter lettuce, mayonnaise, and of course, an egg. According to most of the recipes, the egg is cooked until the center is almost firm, yet still a bit runny.
The Denver sandwich is different, however, made with scrambled eggs, chopped green peppers and onions. This mixture is cooked until it is completely firm, cut into triangular wedges, and used as filling.
Are you wondering what to serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner? Maybe it's time to give this classic sandwich a try. I didn't want to eat onions for breakfast, so I substituted mushrooms. Instead of fatty bacon, I substituted Canadian bacon. And one egg is sufficient for me. Here is my recipe for an updated FES.
Ingredients
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 slice Canadian bacon
1 slice reduced fat Swiss cheese
1 large egg
1 leaf of butter (Boston) lettuce
2 slices rye bread (without seeds)
Method
Melt butter in a small non-stick skillet. Add olive oil. Saute sliced mushrooms until they start to brown. Set aside. Cook Canadian bacon until it starts to brown. Set aside. Add another dash of olive oil to skillet. Fry egg until the center is firm, but not totally so, and the edges start to brown. Lay Swiss cheese on one slice of rye bread. Top with cooked mushrooms, egg, Canadian bacon, butter lettuce, and second slice of bread. Cut in half and serve immediately with seasonal fruit. Makes one serving.
Copyright 2012 by Harriet Hodgson
Harriet Hodgson has been an independent journalist for 35+ years and is the author of 31 books, including six grief resources. Her latest books are "Happy Again!" Your New and Meaningful Life After Loss" and "Help! I'm Raising My Grandkids: Grandparents Adapting to Life's Surprises." Please visit her website and learn more about this busy author.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7146759

No comments:

Post a Comment